Sunday, July 3, 2011

SOS 2011: “Volunteerism never goes out of style”

 Summer of Service 2011
by: Patrick Silver Padao  

Ozamis:

We had a great SOS 2011 experience  teaching   the Deaf   in La Salle University Ozamiz City last May 1-13.  We   had 30 Ozamis Deaf students in a class who participated in our lessons in Performing Arts and of course in Multimedia Arts.
 Organized by the Center for Social Actions there were 4  Deaf students were Patrick Silver Padao (me), Marie Mones, Kristine Bernardo and Nicolaus Alferez and   2 advisers   Krizelle dela Cruz and Jefferson Umali .



I have learned alot from the  Summer of Service 2011. I went with  for the Deaf and Hearing to  Ozamiz City. I felt so inspired because   I was teaching   the Deaf school from  La Salle University (Ozamiz City). Patrick Silver and I   duty was to teach   Performing Arts. Nicolaus Alferez and Marie Mones  duty for the MMA and Jefferson Umali and Krizelle Delacruz were the advisers.  I was patient for  two weeks. Even if I felt like crying I focused on what I need to teach the Deaf. I have learned new cultures in Mindanao.   I believed in myself. Looking at the  environment and I was aware about God's creation and our life.   I taught sign  language for the hearing group in Ozamiz,  When we left for   Manila when I felt  like   crying because I was starting to miss them.  I dream to become a  teacher and move to Ozamiz City.  
                                              ~ Kristine Bernardo, SOS Ozamiz Deaf Volunteer

Bangued, Abra
The other Deaf students   went to . They  were Maricel Murillo, Eidderf Claravall, Justine Camille Javier and Ma.Rosario dela Cruz along with their 2 advisers,  Ariscel Lobo and Vanezza Guavarra.


SOS 2011 Team Abra Adviser : Ms. Vanny   teaching basic sign languages to the hearing  in Abra.


SOS 2011 Volunteer Team Abra: Justine Camille Javier teaching performing arts to the Deaf students in Abra


SOS 2011 Team Abra Adviser: Mr. Ariscel patiently teaching taekwondo sports to the Deaf athletes in Abra.



SOS 2011 Deaf Students from Lasalle Deaf Ozamiz: They are very eager and  focused during the activities. Deafinitely Deaf!

Negros 

Other SDEAS students went to Kabankalan in Negros. They  were Mark Daniel Laygo, Gladys Bisnar, Abigail Ablaza with the 2 advisers:  Michael Autencio and Everlino Alvarez.  

SOS 2011 Team Kabankalan: Ate Gladys, Ate Abi, Kuya Mark and Adviser Mr.Auch participated in the introduction to the Deaf children in Kabankalan.


SOS 2011 Volunteer Mark and Adviser Mr.Auch help in teaching performing arts to the Deaf performer how to relate body movement and  dance techniques


My first time for Summer of Service is to most teach  Deaf students of ABRA at the  Divine Word of Bangued. I  felt happy teaching  Deaf children. because they had  courage to learn. We taught  Livelihood Recycle Newspaper - not to  waste time, how to  earn   and do photography of documents.
                                                                           ~Ria dela Cruz, SOS Abra Deaf Volunteer


No comments: