Thursday, January 12, 2012

Caya Consunji: Proud to be a Deaf Kababayan

De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde School of Deaf Education and Applied Studies invited the Benildean community to another special screening of the First-ever Interpretation in Filipino Sign Language of Ultimo Adios by Dr. Jose P Rizal last Jan. 13 at the SDA Cinema



Mirana Medina's film was recently launched at the Rizal Shrine last Dec 29 on the occasion of the 115th death commemoration for our National hero, Jose Rizal. It has also been accepted to the 2nd Hong Kong International Deaf Film Festival this February.Ms Caya Consunji, a Deaf descendant of Rizal, was the guest of honor and warmly shared her insights about her family.










Welcoming remarks from Ms. Febe Sevilla






Consunji shares, "I didn't grow up in the Philippines. That means I did not grow up with the other Filipinos who respect my Lolo Jose Rizal. I was not able to participate in the events of Rizal that happen each year at his birthday on June 19th and his death on December 30th. Growing up in the US has allowed me to witness how admired Dr. Jose Rizal is even in other countries. I have seen plaques dedicated to him in San Francisco, in Chicago, in Paris, France and in Mexico City. I hope to see more plagues to Rizal in other countries because like Rizal who loves to travel, I love to travel too.

I am a sixth generation Rizal. I am a direct descendant of Narcisa Rizal, the sister who got the lamp from Jose Rizal with the poem "Mi Ultimo Adios". It is a great honor and privilege to be part of Rizal family as it taught us to carry a lot of responsibility. My parents and lola always reminded us of this responsibility.





Rizal taught us many things. One of these things was to stand up for the oppressed. Remember his quote, I'll go where there are no slaves, tyrants or hangmen" He died fighting for freedom and equality for the Filipino. He also taught us to fight for what is right and never be afraid as long as what we are doing was right.

Rizal made decisions that were sometimes bad for him and his family, but good for the country. Those are very difficult decisions. Luckily we do not face those decisions anymore because of a foreign power.






But now we still have to make our own decisions in this country between doing something wrong that will benefit us but will be bad for the country or doing the right thing that will help improve the lives of our people. If we apply the values and teachings of Rizal to these decisions, we will always know what is the right thing to do. Let us remember Rizal always in our hearts and minds and also actions. He loved the Filipino and the Philippines."





The guest of honor was very much willing to answer the audience's questions.









Mr. Leo Sulse, SDEAS Chairperson for Academics, presents a copy of the short film
as a token of appreciation.


Ms. Caya was overwhelmed by the positive feedback.



Students share...


Patrick Silver Padao"I was surprised to see Ms.Caya here in the Philippines because I really wanted to know who are the real relatives of our National Hero Dr.Jose Rizal. It was nice to see her and know her who is a Deaf relative of Rizal. It seems like we are proud having deaf relatives of Dr. Rizal. It was amazing that she is planning to teach in DLS-CSB SDEAS. Its a good effort for her to share to the other Deaf community who she is. "Proud to be a Deaf Kababayan"

Abigail Ablaza from E3-A."Last Friday, I attended the THE LAST FAREWELL Program and Deaf Guest Caya, a descendants of Rizal, 6th General of Rizal's Family. I couldn't wait too to see her since I learned a lot about her from my JOSERIZ professor, Mrs. Febe Sevilla. When this program started to call her to stand to speak for us. I didn't take off my eyes on her as if I was proud of her being a Deaf person of descendent of Rizal. She spoke in nature sign language and made me so touched that saying Rizal's Family's teaching for descendants who related to Rizal's blood is to make them remembering so hard, saying "Please continue to have nurture of our Filipino Culture, Value, and Identity, to have freedom with responsible for the country, Philippines, which related the blood of Filipino, to have rights to equality with other people." It seemed like Jose Rizal's teaching in book we have read and I can't forget those message from Caya."

Michael A. Lopez. Sophomore "Last Friday, January 13, 2012 at SDA Cinema, I was interested in listening to Ms. Febe Sevilla who related what she knew about Caya Consunji, the sixth generation of Rizal Family. At this, she said: "Years ago I saw Caya Consunji sing music orally, but I did not know that she was an offspring of Rizal. As a professor of JOSERIZ, I was curious about the deaf descendant of Rizal. I found that that was Caya Consunji by hearing the secret revealed by my Deaf friend. I realized that someone who is part of Rizal's offspring must keep the secret because in case he/she brags about this, he/she will be embarrassed by his/her failure to imitate the way Jose Rizal can accomplish. I am very excited to see Caya Consunji." Afterwards, I was watching the film which sings "Mi Ultimo Adios" using Filipino Sign Language for the third time as I did in CCP. This inspiring interpretation understood could reach my heart and made me shed a single tear. Subsequently, Mackie Calbay invited Caya Consunji to express what she reacted to the film and share how she knew Jose Rizal in the front of audience. In her childhood, she did not know much about Jose Rizal because the schools in the U.S. provided information about how the Philippines achieved independence, however, it eluded the information about Jose Rizal who had traveled around America. I wonder why the countries which displayed the statues of Rizal have no record of Rizal's great achievements in the educational books, especially The History of the World books. Yet, I am very grateful to Caya Consunji for her time to visit and share everything related to our national hero."

2 comments:

miranamedina said...

Your report says: "...on the occasion of the 155th death commemoration for our National hero, Jose Rizal."

It is not 155th but 115th death anniversary of Dr. Rizal.

said...

Thank you for the correction-

-mgm